According to national statistics, the inappropriate use of medications and fully preventable medication-related adverse events are responsible for an estimated of 3.5 million of physician office visits, 1 million emergency care visits and 125,000 hospitalizations each year! The problem is rampant — responsible for about of 1/3 of all hospital adverse events (over 50% in the those over the age of 55) and impacts up to 2 million of all hospital stays every year.
As a result of Adverse Drug-related Events (ADEs), patients and their families suffer significant harm and lower quality of life, and a serious financial burden is placed on the nation’s healthcare system — at an estimated cost of $5.6 million per hospital per year, and from $677 to $9,000 for each patient, depending on the ADE type.
Who would benefit most from Optimal Wellness Pharmacy’s Comprehensive Medication Therapy Review and Management Services?
- Patients with multiple medical diagnoses and/or on more than 5 medications or more than 12 doses per day for chronic disease management.
- Patients who are 65 years of age and up. It is no secret that as we age, medication affects us differently. There are many physiological, enzymatic and hormonal differences associated with age-related physical changes over time. On both sides of the age spectrum (the younger and the older) there is a higher risk developing ADEs. According to researches, elderly patients in particular are 7 times more likely than younger patients to experience critical ADEs that require emergency care & hospitalization.
- Patients who are on medications with narrowed therapeutic index and are associated with critical ADEs: anticoagulants; diabetic medications; anti-seizure medications; anti-arrhythmic medications (including Digoxin & Beta-Blockers); anti-depressants; anxiolytics; medications to treat gastric & esophageal reflux disorders on prolonged basis; oral antifungal medications, such as Ketoconazole; and Opioid pain meds. Elderly patients are also much more prone to side effects of medications in the Beer’s list.
- Patients utilizing prescription drugs as well as natural supplements on a routine basis. Even the best of intentions can arrive at a harmful place. Indiscriminate use of contra-indicated combinations of prescriptions and natural supplements can and have caused significant health issues for many.
- Patients with a history of significant ADEs in the past. These patients may benefit from recommended genetic testing to determine optimal choice of therapeutic agents.
- Patients with recent hospitalization or transition between different care settings and environments.
- Patients unable to adhere or follow the prescribed treatment regimen, or those who remained unresponsive to current prescribed medication regimens.
- Patients utilizing multiple physicians and dispensing pharmacies.
- Patients who prefer the use of natural medicines over prescription medications. Dr. Diep-Kwei’s training in Functional Medicine approach can assist these patients with non-prescription alternatives.
- Patients who experience changes in conditions that may be related to an ADE.
If you or your loved ones fall into one of the above categories, we can help. Ask any of our pharmacy staff to assist you in booking an appointment with our qualified pharmacists for a 15- minute preliminary free-of-charge consultation. Call us today to learn more about pricing and your options for our Consultation Services.